Tuesday, August 21, 2007

On Internet Watermarking...

As I was watching some videos on my Laptop the other night, I started thinking about a common practice on the internet with regards to media: watermarking. Many websites (especially video game sites) watermark any video or screen-shot on their site, and at times I don't mind. If the editors are posting a video or image that they themselves have captured during a playtest or what have you, that fine in my book; after all, they spent effort to create this media, and they should have the right to claim some ownership of it. However, I'm much less forgiving when the media in question is provided by the game publisher/developer themselves, such as a trailer. How can someone reasonably claim ownership of something that's freely distributed online? They did not create this media, so it makes little sense to plaster your logo all over it simply because it's on your site.

Maybe I should start watermarking all the images I post on my blog. That way, anyone who saves an image will always know where it came from. It's not like these watermarks are eyesores. Oh wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment