Wednesday, July 9, 2008

$80 for an Artbook?! You've got to be kidding me!


Today, I learned from Penny Arcade that Capcom is releasing a Street Fighter Tribute artbook in celebration of the series' 20th Anniversary. The book compiles art from many (relatively) well-known artists of characters from the games, including Penny Arcade's own Gabe. The catch? Capcom is charging $80 (plus $20 for shipping) for the artbook on their website. A quick search on Amazon turns up the same book for $40 MSRP, on sale for ~$26. The only difference between these two books is that Amazon only sells the paperback version of the artbook, whereas Capcom is seeling a limited edition hardcover. I'm not sure a hardcover is worth the extra $75 however.



In a related story, I also discovered the existence of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete Collection," which Amazon has listed at $60 (on sale for ~$42). I'm still not sure how to respond to this discovery, considering that I paid $65 for the first volume upon release last summer. On the otherhand, the copious amounts of money I spent also earned my lots of Haruhi-related goodies, as well as a very nice box to store all my DVDs. Overall though, this has me questioning the value of buying individual Anime DVD releases, like my current Lucky Star investment. With the impending release of Hayate no Gotoku stateside, I'll have to decide whether I'm willing to pay for 12 DVD volumes (which will likely cost $20+ each).

1 comment: